Thursday 14 April 2011

Scene 2 - Q-Boat on Thames

This part of my animation is where Bond is in the Q-Boat chasing along the Thames. For this scene I first had to create the water for which the boat would drive along. To get my water plane I went to space warps-reactor-water. I changed the wave speed and min/max ripples.



Aswell as changing the wave speed and the min/max ripple again, I also changed the maxdepth so that the water would not be flat.


Next I created a plane that was just bigger then the water reactor, and attached them by using the bind to space warp action. Next on the plane I added a subdivide modifier and a reactor water modifier. In this modifier I changed the scale strength to 5.


Next was to apply a material to both the water reactor and the plane, to do this I opened up the material editor and used the pro materials: water using the mental ray render setup. From here I could choose what type of water I wanted. I chose stream or river and then chose a custom colour, I also applied a wave height.


Next was to add a daylight system so that the environment around my scene looked like it was in daytime. For this I went to create-lights-daylight system. I then moved the compass and light around till I was happy with the positioning and applied mr sun and mr sky to the modifier. Next I changed the location to London.


When I was happy with this I created a wall that would represent the thames wall and keep the water in my scene without it looking unrealistic. I then merged my q-boat file which I had earlier created using box modeling and extruding, into this file. I then done a test render to see how the image looked. This is shown below:


When I was happy with the outcome I thought about adding a background to make the scenery look like that it was situated along the Thames. For this I created a plane and then applied a millenium dome image to this. Editing around with the image using UVW Map, gizmo until I was happy with the size and postioning of my background picture. I also applied a target camera to the scene that would follow the boat moving along the Thames.


Next was to apply some animation to the scene, to do this using autokey I moved the boat along a bit and rotated to create the effect of the boat riding a wave and then dropping back down again. This would happen between the 1st and 30th frame. To repeat the process I used track view-curve editor. Here I could apply the parameter, curve out-of-range types. I used the function loop, this made the boat move along the same distance and rotate the same every 30 frames.


Last was to make sure that the camera followed the boat so I edited the rotation at several points along the timeline using autokey.
Below is the finished outcome of the scene:

No comments:

Post a Comment