Thursday 14 April 2011

Scene 3 - Submarine Underwater

For this scene I wanted to make the submarine dive underwater like in the film and have it crash to the bottom of the sea (my screen). For the start I made a plane and added the displace modifier and adjusted the strength.


I next added a noise map to this modifier and opened the material editor. Here I dragged the noise map into an empty slot and made an 'instance' copy. Here I edited the settings of the noise map.


From here I opened a new material slot and added arch & design mental ray-water,reflective surface from the materials panel and set transparency to 1. Next I went to special purpose maps and changed the size of the bump making largest 100 and smallest 1. From here I added an environment map by going to render-environment, and added a gradient map. Again I dragged this and copied as an 'instance' in a new material slot.


Next I changed the colour of the flags and added a noise parameter and edited accordingly.


I then added a camera and a target spot light to the scene. I put the camera underwater and the light above shining down through the top of the water acting like the sun. I also added another environment but this time added a fog atmosphere and fog gradient ramp environment map. I again copied over to an empty material panel. Here I changed the settings so that the gradient was in the y-axis and changed the colour of the flags again.


I next merged my submarine file with this file and edited my submarine. For this I used autokey, on the properler blades I clicked on frame 10 and rotated 180 degrees and added a loop using the curve editor. This would repeat the same motion every 10 frames throughout the animation. I then on different frames adjusted the positioning and rotation of the submarine to look like it was diving. The track curve editor map is show below to demonstrate the effect it had on my animation.


Below is the finished outcome of this scene:

No comments:

Post a Comment